Tag Archives: Sambisa forest

Shekau is hiding in a new location – Buratai

Boko Haram factional leader Abubakar Shekau may still be alive despite previous reports that he has been killed or fatally wounded by Nigerian security forces.

This follows remarks by Nigeria’s Chief of Army Staff Lt. Gen Tukur Buratai that Shekau has move to another location after the military recent massive onslaught on the dreaded Sambisa forest.

According to Lt. Gen Buratai, Shekau could not withstand the firepower of the Nigerian troops and had to move to another location, though the army is on his trail.

Shekau is hiding in a new location - BurataiShekau is hiding in a new location – Buratai

Speaking in an interview with Daily Trust Buratai said when asked about the whereabout of Shekau: “Your guess is as good as mine because as we are planning, he too was planning. He could not withstand the advancing troops into that location so he moved and we are still going after him.

“As for the items that were recovered in Camp Zero which we strongly believe belong to the terrorist, these were evidence to show that our troops have been there. These criminals that have been staying in that place are no more in that location.”

Buratai also said the troops had expected to capture the terrorists’ ring leaders when Camp Zero was captured but they were able to slip out of Camp zero and move to another location.

“It was the expectation when Camp Zero was captured. We even expected to see the Boko Haram terrorists’ key leaders. They were able to slip out of that place and move to another location. The forest is very large but we are still searching for them.

“The troops are continuously carrying out clearance operations in other suspected locations. But the most important thing is that Camp Zero was the stronghold of the Boko Haram terrorists; it was their main headquarters where we suspected the key leaders were hiding.”

Recall that Shekau appeared in a new video on Thursday, December 29, to deny claims that the insurgent group has been crushed and flushed out of its Sambisa forest stronghold.

This came five days after President Muhammadu Buhari announced that the Nigerian military had succeeded in liberating Sambisa forest, one of Boko Haram’s hideout.

Source: Naij

Advertisements

Nigerian govt replies BringBackOurGirls on Sambisa tour

The Federal Government has rejected the conditions given by the Bring Back Our Girls, BBOG, group for joining a day search sorties for missing Chibok girls to Sambisa Forest.

In a letter addressed to the convener of the group, Obiageli Ezekwesili, which was made available to the media on Sunday, the government said it was unable to postpone the trip as scheduled.

The letter dated January 14 was signed by the Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed.

“Thank you for your letter, dated Jan. 13, which is in response to ours of Jan. 11, requesting that we change the date of the proposed guided tour of the North-East to accommodate a Pre-Tour Meeting between your organisation and some top officials of the Federal Government.

“We have also noted the conditions you gave for embarking on the trip which include the said Pre-Tour Meeting and the retraction of some remarks allegedly made by the Chief of Army Staff, Lt. – Gen. Tukur Buratai, which the #BBOG finds to be slanderous.

“We regret, however, to inform you that we are unable to postpone the trip as scheduled.”

The government insisted the team would proceed on the trip on Monday as scheduled because of the narrow window available to have a good weather on the day.

It said that payment for the satellite downlink streaming of the mission had been made for the day and shifting the date will require another round of booking to secure such a slot.

 

The government added that apart from the BBOG members, local and international journalists had been invited for the trip, while some preparations had been made by the Nigerian military.

It noted that the remarks purportedly made by the Chief of Army Staff and the request for a meeting with its certain top officials were irrelevant to its request for the BBOG to join in the search mission.

The government stressed that it extended the invitation to the BBOG in recognition of the group’s commitment to the safe release of the Chibok girls in captivity and interest in the welfare of those who had been released.

“We hope that the BBOG will drop its conditions and join the trip which shows the commitment of the Federal Government to securing freedom for the Chibok girls and its transparency in handling the issues of the girls.

The government had in a letter of January 11, invited members of BBOG to a short trip in a military operational flight into Sambisa forest in search of the missing Chibok girls.

In the letter, the government asked the BBOG to nominate three of its members to join on the guided trip out of which two would join the sorties due to limited seats on the search plane.

The government had stated that the trip would avail the BBOG the opportunity to witness and better understand the efforts being made to secure the freedom of the girls and other victims of Book Haram terrorists.

The BBOG had in its reply to the invitation letter requested the government to meet certain conditions before the tour and also demanded for a change in the scheduled date.

Specifically, the group requested a Pre-Tour Meeting with some officials of government and a retraction of some remarks allegedly made by the Chief of Army Staff, which it alleged are defamatory.

Source: premium times ng

Nigerian Army Frees 257 Boko Haram Detainees

Borno State Governor Kashim Shettima, who received the rescued persons from the Theatre Commander of Operation Lafiya Dole, Maj. Gen. Leo Irabor, during Armed Forces Remembrance Day in Maiduguri, said the military has made this year’s occasion unique after the fall of Sambisa Forest.


The Nigerian Army on Thursday freed 257 suspected Boko Haram detainees, according to an announcement made by the military at the 2017 Armed Forces Remembrance Day in Maiduguri on Sunday.

Borno State Governor Kashim Shettima, who received the rescued persons from the Theatre Commander of Operation Lafiya Dole, Maj. Gen. Leo Irabor, during Armed Forces Remembrance Day in Maiduguri, said the military has made this year’s occasion unique after the fall of Sambisa Forest.

Mr. Irabor said the freed detainees have no links with Boko Haram after several investigations were carried out by security agencies.

“The 257 Boko Haram detainees have been screened and found to be innocent. The Army Day celebrations have afforded us the opportunity to free them to mark the occasion,” Mr. Irabor said.

While responding, Mr. Shettima, represented by his deputy , Mamman Durkwa, paid tribute to the fallen heroes, who he said paid the supreme price for the unity of the nation.

“We must be committed to ensure that the labors of our heroes past are not in vain. I commend the Nigerian military and other security agencies for wiping out terrorists from Sambisa Forest. In fact, it makes this year’s remembrance ceremony unique,” Mr. Durkwa said.

Nigerian troops and Commander visit Kuda community in Adamawa after Boko Haram attack

 

 

 

 

 

Source: Sahara Reporters, New York

BBOG Group Gives Conditions For Joining Military On Sambisa Tour

The #BringBackOurGirls group has outlined a set of conditions to be met by the Nigerian government before accepting its invitation for a trip into Sambisa forest. The government had asked Oby Ezekwesili, the convener of the advocacy group, to nominate three of their members to join the military on a guided trip into Sambisa forest in search of the missing Chibok girls.


by Ben Ezeamalu


The #BringBackOurGirls group has outlined a set of conditions to be met by the Nigerian government before accepting its invitation for a trip into Sambisa forest.

The government had asked Oby Ezekwesili, the convener of the advocacy group, to nominate three of their members to join the military on a guided trip into Sambisa forest in search of the missing Chibok girls.

In a letter dated January 11th and signed by Information Minister, Lai Mohammed, the government said the trip would avail the BBOG group the opportunity to witness and better understand the efforts being made to secure the freedom of the abducted girls.

The letter said the trip, planned by the military, would see invited BBOG members and a select group of journalists joining the ministers of defence and information, the Chief of Air Staff and Chief of Army Staff for the tour.

“They will first go to the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) Command Centre in Yola to witness firsthand the efforts being made to search for the girls by NAF and then join the day and night sorties with the BAF to the Sambisa Forest,” the letter said.

Responding to the invitation, the BBOG group said its members unanimously agreed that they were open to exploring the opportunity.

“We had an emergency meeting of our Movement to discuss your invitation to embark on a ‘guided tour’ of the Nigerian Air Force Command (Yola) and Sambisa Forest with officials of the government,” the group stated in their letter dated January 13th and signed by Mrs. Ezekwesili.

“However, before proceeding with further discussion on the proposed visit, we propose a pre-tour meeting to discuss pertinent issues that will help inform our decision to proceed.

“We believe that this prior meeting would help provide first-hand knowledge of, and answers to questions that our movement wishes to raise ahead of the guided visit.”

The group proposed that participants at the meeting include the National Security Adviser, the Minister of Defence, the Chief of Army Staff, and the Chief of Air Force.

The group accused the Chief of Army Staff, Tukur Buratai, of endorsing a statement by “a certain group” visiting him which described the BBOG movement as engaging in “social media terrorism”.

“It is puzzling that the reported said visit happened less than 48 hours before our Movement received your letter asking us to travel in the company of the same Chief of Army Staff to Sambisa Forest,” the group stated.

“We demand therefore that ahead of the pre-tour meeting we have proposed herein, that the Chief of Army Staff retracts and apologizes for endorsing such slanderous attacks against our Movement #BringBackOurGirls and specifically at some of our leaders.

“Such a step would communicate that it is with goodwill that the Federal Government is asking us to entertain the visit proposed in your letter.”

More than 200 girls were abducted from Government Secondary School, Chibok, in April 2014 by Boko Haram insurgents.

For nearly three years, the BBOG group has sustained itd advocacy for the safe return of the girls to their families.


Troops arrest fleeing Boko Haram terrorists with 100 motorcycles

– Nigerian Army arrest four fleeing members of the Boko Haram sect with 100 motorcycles

– The names of the terrorists were given as Muazu Gogobir, Mamman Shuaibu, Muhammadu Muhammadu and Isah Ibrahim

Nigerian soldiers have arrested four fleeing members of the Boko Haram sect with 100 motorcycles.

Troops arrest fleeing Boko Haram terrorists with 100 motorcycles

Troops arrest fleeing Boko Haram terrorists with 100 motorcycles

This was disclosed by Brigadier General Sani Kukasheka Usman, the director army public relations, on Thursday, January 12.

According to Bri-Gen Usman, the fleeing terrorists were arrested on Wednesday afternoon at Madaki village in Biu local government area, Borno state by troops of 27 Task Force Brigade stationed in Bara.

Troops arrest four fleeing Boko Haram terrorists

Troops arrest four fleeing Boko Haram terrorists

The names of the terrorists were given as Muazu Gogobir, Mamman Shuaibu, Muhammadu Muhammadu and Isah Ibrahim.

They were intercepted along with 100 concealed motorcycles at the outskirt of the town.

Troops intercept Boko Haram terrorists with 100 motorcycles

Troops intercept Boko Haram terrorists with 100 motorcycles

The Army spokesman also noted that the suspected Boko Haram terrorists are undergoing preliminary investigation.

He said: “Following the dislodgement and subsequent occupation of Boko Haram stronghold at Camp Zairo, Sambisa forest, the terrorists have been escaping the theatre to avoid capture and prosecution.

“It is in this vein that troops of Operation LAFIYA DOLE intensified searches, patrols, raids and mop up operations.

“During one of such patrols to Madaki village in Biu Local Government Area, Borno State, troops of 27 Task Force Brigade stationed in Bara arrested 4 suspected fleeing members of Boko Haram terrorists on Wednesday afternoon whose names were given as Muazu Gogobir, Mamman Shuaibu, Muhammadu Muhammadu and Isah Ibrahim.

“They were intercepted along with 100 concealed motorcycles at the outskirt of the town. The suspected Boko Haram terrorists are undergoing preliminary investigation.”

Meanwhile, the Nigerian Army has reacted to reports that it has raised an Army battalion that would be deployed in troubled Gambia to forcefully remove President Yahya Jammeh from power, if he fails to step down on January 19.

Recall that Premium Times had quoted military insiders as saying that the battalion called ECOMOG NIBATT 1 is presently camped at Okitipupa in Ondo state.

But in a swift response, Brigadier General Usman, described the report as untrue and a figment of the imagination of Premium Times.

Usman said the Nigerian Army is not planning to attack any country.

Explosions kill many in Adamawa state

Sent packing from the Sambisa forest in Borno state, members of the Boko Haram terrorist sect have reportedly gone on rampage in the Madagali area of Adamawa state with multiple explosions.

Multiple explosions kill many in Adamawa state

The three explosions reportedly happened at a crowded motor park

Daily Trust reports that three bombs exploded in Madagali town in the northern part of Adamawa state, with many currently dead.

The attack came just hours after Bishop David Oyedepo, founder of the Living Faith Church, also known as Winners Chapel, rained curses on the sponsors of insurgency in the country and called on God to break up Nigeria if that was His will.

The report quoted witnesses as saying the three explosions occurred in the morning of Friday, January 13 at a crowded motor park on the outskirt of the town.

Though the casualty figure has not been formally revealed, security agents and rescue workers are said to be evacuating the dead from the scene.

The report also quoted a local official as confirming the incident and saying details of the attack were not clear yet.

The report said the spokesperson of the 28 Task Force Battalion in Mubi, Major Bakare Akintoye could not be reached.

Vanguard also reports a witness simply called Baba as saying one of the blasts happened close to a checkpoint at the entrance of the town.

He said: “We heard three blasts near the checkpoint where people gathered to be screened before entering the town as you know today is market day.

“The bombers blew themselves up alongside the two vigilante members that approached them.”

In his reaction, the member representing Madagali/Michika federal constituency at the House of Representatives, Hon Adamu Kamale, but could not actually confirm if there were casualties.

“Information available to me showed that there was no death in the blast, except that some people sustained injuries,” Kamale said while calling for more deployment of troops to the Madagali axis of Sambisa which he said was still habouring insurgents.

Alhaji Yusuf Mohammed, the chairman of Madagali local government, while confirming the incident, added that he could not give details as he was not around.

“I was outside the town for an official engagement but I was called and informed about the incident. That is all I can tell you for now,” Mohammed said.