Tag Archives: Yola

How SARS operative shot teenager in Yobe

A police officer in Damaturu, Yobe State, shot at a bus on assumption that the vehicle was smuggled killing a teenager in the process.

The news of gunshots at a bus that led to the death of 14-year-old boy, Faruq Olaruwajo, has been trending in Damaturu, the Yobe State capital since the incident happened a week ago.

Daily Trust on Sunday gathered that an officer with the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), on routine stop and search operation on Damaturu–Maiduguri highway, allegedly opened fire on a vehicle the boy and his mother were travelling in. A bullet was said to have pierced the door and struck the teenager in the belly. The boy bled to death.

The Yobe State Commissioner of Police, Abdumaliki Sunmonu, who described the incident as unfortunate said the vehicle was a smuggled Mercedes Benz car and had picked the teenager and his mother from Kano.

He said the vehicle, which has no plate number, sped off when the shot was fired. “A bullet hit the boy who was rushed to the hospital but later died. Though, the police is not supposed to shoot to kill,” Sunmonu said.

He said the driver only returned to the checkpoint almost an hour after the incident.

Although the commissioner did not mention the name of the officer who shot Faruq, he confirmed that the officer and driver have been detained to allow careful investigation of the case.

The mother of late teenager, Ms Remi Latifatu, argued that the police did not stop them at the checkpoint, saying they only heard four gunshots from behind. She said they were cracking jokes in the vehicle when Faruq noticed blood gushing out of his stomach.

“I started shouting and the driver quickly returned to the checkpoint. One of the officers was crying, he held my child tight and rushed him to the hospital. In fact this heartless shooter has deprived me the entire joy of my life. Faruq was my only son,” she sobbed.

She said the police only informed her that the boy had died until after three days. “They lied that he was on referral to University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital. I went to Maiduguri and another officer told me that he was taken back Damaturu. They fooled me for almost three days before my nephew who came from Osun State broke the sad news that Faruq was dead,” she lamented.

Latifatu said she was a regular kolanut seller to Maiduguri and she always went with the boy to introduce him to her customers and the terrain.

“The Police should have asked whatever they wanted and spared my child. He was the only person I had and they have taken him away. I am pleading with the Inspector-General of Police to follow-up on this case and prosecute that officer because we did not break any law,” she said.

Also, the driver told newsmen that the police didn’t stop him for search and that he drove the vehicle from Lagos passing through all the checkpoints because his particulars are genuine and intact.

“What I expected from the officer was to stop me if he was in doubt but he did not. It was a free flow and I was among the vehicle they have cleared. So, even as at the time he fired I didn’t know it was targeted at us until we noticed the boy bleeding,” he said.

The Assistant Secretary-General, Network for Civil Society, Mr Ishaku Adamu, regretted what led to the deadly shooting that claimed the life of the innocent boy.

According to him, “police said the driver beat the checkpoint in a smuggled vehicle, while the mother said they drove smoothly in a legal traffic flow before the office shot at them.”

Adamu said the organization had been following the case closely and would continue to do so until justice was served. “The innocent child traveling with his mother had covered thousands of miles. The police action has taken away the woman’s happiness because he was her only child,” he said.

“We also learnt that the driver has produced genuine documents, including the customs duty but he is still under detention,” he added.

Source: Dailytrust

Advertisements

7 DEAD IN ADAMAWA ATACK

Seven people has been confirmed the dead by the Adamawa State Government, in an early morning attack on Midlu village of Vapura ward in Madagali Local Government Area of the state on Wednesday.

bh

Malam Ahmad Sajoh, the Commissioner for Information and Strategy, confirmed the disheartening news to newsmen in Yola.

He stated that the insurgents attacked the village and killed six people while one of the attackers was also killed.

They (insurgents) attacked around 2 a.m. killing six people while one of them was killed by hunters.

Soldiers and hunters have dislodged them from the area, Sajoh said.

Meanwhile, the councillor representing the ward in Madagali  Local Government Council, Mr Bulus Dauda, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN)  that his people had vacated the area.

 

BBOG Group Gives Conditions For Joining Military On Sambisa Tour

The #BringBackOurGirls group has outlined a set of conditions to be met by the Nigerian government before accepting its invitation for a trip into Sambisa forest. The government had asked Oby Ezekwesili, the convener of the advocacy group, to nominate three of their members to join the military on a guided trip into Sambisa forest in search of the missing Chibok girls.


by Ben Ezeamalu


The #BringBackOurGirls group has outlined a set of conditions to be met by the Nigerian government before accepting its invitation for a trip into Sambisa forest.

The government had asked Oby Ezekwesili, the convener of the advocacy group, to nominate three of their members to join the military on a guided trip into Sambisa forest in search of the missing Chibok girls.

In a letter dated January 11th and signed by Information Minister, Lai Mohammed, the government said the trip would avail the BBOG group the opportunity to witness and better understand the efforts being made to secure the freedom of the abducted girls.

The letter said the trip, planned by the military, would see invited BBOG members and a select group of journalists joining the ministers of defence and information, the Chief of Air Staff and Chief of Army Staff for the tour.

“They will first go to the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) Command Centre in Yola to witness firsthand the efforts being made to search for the girls by NAF and then join the day and night sorties with the BAF to the Sambisa Forest,” the letter said.

Responding to the invitation, the BBOG group said its members unanimously agreed that they were open to exploring the opportunity.

“We had an emergency meeting of our Movement to discuss your invitation to embark on a ‘guided tour’ of the Nigerian Air Force Command (Yola) and Sambisa Forest with officials of the government,” the group stated in their letter dated January 13th and signed by Mrs. Ezekwesili.

“However, before proceeding with further discussion on the proposed visit, we propose a pre-tour meeting to discuss pertinent issues that will help inform our decision to proceed.

“We believe that this prior meeting would help provide first-hand knowledge of, and answers to questions that our movement wishes to raise ahead of the guided visit.”

The group proposed that participants at the meeting include the National Security Adviser, the Minister of Defence, the Chief of Army Staff, and the Chief of Air Force.

The group accused the Chief of Army Staff, Tukur Buratai, of endorsing a statement by “a certain group” visiting him which described the BBOG movement as engaging in “social media terrorism”.

“It is puzzling that the reported said visit happened less than 48 hours before our Movement received your letter asking us to travel in the company of the same Chief of Army Staff to Sambisa Forest,” the group stated.

“We demand therefore that ahead of the pre-tour meeting we have proposed herein, that the Chief of Army Staff retracts and apologizes for endorsing such slanderous attacks against our Movement #BringBackOurGirls and specifically at some of our leaders.

“Such a step would communicate that it is with goodwill that the Federal Government is asking us to entertain the visit proposed in your letter.”

More than 200 girls were abducted from Government Secondary School, Chibok, in April 2014 by Boko Haram insurgents.

For nearly three years, the BBOG group has sustained itd advocacy for the safe return of the girls to their families.


Chibok girls: FG invites BBOG to Sambisa Forest

– FG invites BBOG to Sambisa Forest to have first-hand information on the efforts being made by the Nigerian Army to rescue the missing Chibok girls

– The minister of information and culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, asks the BBOG to nominate three of its members to join the guided trip to the forest on Monday, 16 Jan. 2017

– The ministers of defence and information as well the chief of air staff will also be joining the invited BBOG members and a select group of journalists on the trip

Chibok girls: FG invites BBOG to Sambisa Forest

The BBOG have continued to campaign for the rescue of Chibok girls kidnapped by Boko Haram insurgents.

The federal government has invited members of the Bring Our Girls Back (BBOG) to join in the search for the missing Chibok girls in the Sambisa Forest.

The government said the invitation to the group is to enable the campaigners have a first-hand information on the efforts being made by the Nigerian Army to rescue the missing girls.

The Nation reports that the invitation to the BBOG was contained in a January 11, 2016 letter, signed by the minister of information and culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, and addressed to Mrs Oby Ezekwesili the convener of the group.

In the letter, the minster asked the BBOG to nominate three of its members to join on the guided trip to the forest on Monday, January 16, 2017 in recognition of the unwavering commitment of the group to the release of the girls.

The invitation letter reads: “Let me congratulate you most sincerely for the continuing interest of your group, Bring Back Our Girls (BBOG), in the fate of the Chibok girls, including those who have regained freedom and those who remain in captivity.

“In recognition of your unwavering commitment to the freedom of the girls who remain in captivity, you are invited to nominate three of the BBOG members to join you on a guided trip to the North-East on Monday, 16 Jan. 2017.

“The trip, being planned by the military, will see the Ministers of Defence and Information as well the Chief of Air Staff joining the invited BBOG members and a select group of journalists, first to the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) Command Centre in Yola to witness first-hand the efforts being made to search for the girls by the NAF and then join the day and night sorties with the NAF to the Sambisa Forest.

“Please note that due to limited seats on the search planes; only two of the invited BBOG members will join the NAF sorties.”

But the BBOG was yet to officially respond to the government’s offer as at press time on Saturday, January 14.

Meanwhile, Troops arrest fleeing Boko Haram terrorists with 100 motorcycles

This was disclosed by Brigadier General Sani Kukasheka Usman, the director army public relations, on Thursday, January 12.

According to Bri-Gen Usman, the fleeing terrorists were arrested on Wednesday afternoon at Madaki village in Biu local government area, Borno state by troops of 27 Task Force Brigade stationed in Bara.

3 policemen killed, 2 missing in herdsmen attack in Adamawa

Sources: http://www.vanguardngr.com
Adamawa Police Command on Sunday confirmed the killing of three Mobile Policemen and the disappearance of two others in an attack by suspected herdsmen in Demsa Local Government Area of the state. The policemen were among those drafted to secure Kwayine, Gidan Dadi and Karlahi communities after clashes that followed the killing of 47 cattle in the area.
fulani-herdsmen-1

The command’s Public Relations Officer, SP Othman Abubakar, who confirmed the development to newsmen in Yola, said that four rifles belonging to the policemen were also missing. “Fulani militia attacked the three villages and we lost three of our gallant MOPOL while two are missing. “We have constituted a high powered search team and by the special grace of God we are going to recover our men.

“On the side of the civilians, two bodies have so far been recovered,” Othman said. The spokesman said that the police had succeeded in killing scores of the militias who where however able to escape with their dead ones. Abubakar said more policemen had been drafted to the affected areas. Gov. Muhammad Bindow had condemned the attack, which occurred less than 24-hours after a government delegation on peace building mission visited the area. The governor in a statement signed by the Commissioner of Information and Strategy, Mallam Ahmad Sajoh, directed security agencies to deploy more personnel to the area. He described the attack as unfortunate and sad especially coming after recent peace and confidence building efforts. “The Governor feels highly disturbed that after he had sent delegations on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday to interface with the different communities in the area, a clash could occur so soon thereafter.” He assured residents of government’s resolve to restore peace to the affected areas and protect the lives of every citizen. Bindow saluted the gallantry of the police in confronting the attackers and urged them not to relent until normalcy is fully restored.