Saudi women to be allowed into stadiums from 2018

Saudi women have won another right from their conservative male overlords. From  next year,  they will be allowed  into three sports stadiums for the first time.

The landmark move announced by the authorities on Sunday,  would open up the previously male-only venues to families.

It was one of a raft of decisions announced by Turki Al-Asheikh, chairman of the General Sports Authority, aimed at supporting and stimulating the sports sector”, arabnews.com reported. It was also in line with  with powerful Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman’s ambitious reform drive shaking up the ultra-conservative kingdom, including the decision to allow women to drive from next June

The authority “will start rehabilitating the main stadiums in Riyadh, Dammam and Jeddah to be ready to receive families starting in 2018,” Al-Asheikh said.

The move is part of Saudi Arabia’s efforts to engage women in society as an integral part of the development process.

The kingdom, which has some of the world’s tightest restrictions on women, has long barred women from sports arenas by strict rules on segregation of the sexes in public.

This month Al-Asheikh, who is also president of the Saudi Olympic Committee, appointed Princess Reema bint Bandar president of the Saudi Federation for Community Sports.

Princess Reema has also opened the new Studio 5 gym in Jeddah.  She seeks to encourage women to take exercise in order to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

Last month, women were invited with their families to a sports stadium for the first time to attend annual National Day celebrations. Such venues had previously been male only.

Under the country’s guardianship system, a male family member — normally the father, husband or brother — must grant permission for a woman’s study, travel and other activities.

But the kingdom appears to be relaxing some norms as part of its “Vision 2030” plan for economic and social reforms, which aims to boost female employment.

In July, rights campaigners welcomed an “overdue” reform by the education ministry to allow girls to take part in sports at state schools.

NAN

Advertisements

Suspected Boko Haram insurgents attack Yobe village

Suspected members of Boko Haram sect on Tuesday  attacked Sasawa village in Damaturu Local Government Area of Yobe.

The Commissioner of Police in the state, Mr Abdulmaliki Sumonu, confirmed to newsmen that the village was attacked on Tuesday night.

“The attack happened on Tuesday night; we are still working on the details,” Summonu said.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the attack came after a long time of relative peace enjoyed across the state.

Most people displaced by the insurgency had returned to their communities and engaged in agricultural activities to boost their resettlement and rehabilitation.

NAN

Tesla solar power arrives in Puerto Rico

Entrepreneur Elon Musk has followed through on his plan to boost power resources in Puerto Rico after it was devastated by Hurricane Maria.

Mr Musk’s firm, Tesla, has set up solar panels and energy storage batteries at Hospital del Nino, a children’s hospital in San Juan.

The batteries will provide energy from the panels when sunlight is scarce.

Tesla said on Twitter this was the “first of many” such projects going live.

Mr Musk has also donated $250,000 (£190,000) of his own money to support humanitarian efforts in Puerto Rico, where many people are still without electricity.

Earlier this month, Tesla’s co-founder offered – via Twitter – to help rebuild energy infrastructure.

The US territory’s governor, Ricardo Rossello, responded: “Let’s talk.”

Mr Rossello has since thanked Tesla for its work at the hospital.

BBC

Alleged stoning woman to death lands man in Court

An Ota Magistrate’s Court in Ogun, on Wednesday, remanded a 51-year-old man, Preston Ogilo, in prison for allegedly stoning one Lynda to death.

Ogilo of no fixed address is facing a charge of murder.

The Senior Magistrate, Mrs A. F. Ojelade, ordered that the accused be remanded in prison, pending legal advice from the state’s Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP).

Ojelade adjourned the case until Dec.1 for mention.

Earlier, the Prosecutor, Sgt. Rosemary Samson, told the court that the accused committed the offence on Sept. 11 at about 2.30 p.m., in front of Winners Chapel Church, along Idiroko Road, Ota.

Samson said that the accused unlawfully killed one Lynda by stoning her to death.

According to the prosecutor, the offence contravened Section 319 (1) of the Criminal Code, Laws of Ogun, 2006.

NAN

Teachers requested for sole primary school

The Ungwar Mallam Magaji community in Kokona Local Government Area of Nasarawa State has appealed to the State Universal Basic Education Board, SUBEB, to deploy more teachers to its only primary school.

Its spokesperson, Mr Chidawa Tanko, made the appeal when the management of SUBEB visited the school.

The  school has only one teacher, who doubles as the head and class teacher to cater for its 80 pupils.

Mr Chidawa said more teachers would improve standards and encourage more parents to register their children.

The Executive Chairman of SUBEB, Alhaji Mohammed Musa-Dan’Azumi was surprise that the school had only one teacher, and directed the Education Secretary of Kokona Local Government to sent more teachers “immediately”.

RN

Expenditures caused decline in GDP

The National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) says the Gross Domestic Product in real terms declined in the third and fourth quarters of 2016.

The NBS made  this known  in its “Nigerian Gross Domestic Product Report on Expenditure and Income Approach for the third and fourth quarter of 2016 released in Abuja.

The decline followed the negative growth trend from the first half of 2016.

It explained  that the household and government consumption expenditures led to the decrease in GDP in both the third and fourth quarter of the year.

The bureau, however, stated that a strong recovery in growth in net exports, particularly in the fourth quarter helped to stem the decline.

The National Disposable Income recorded a strong growth in comparison to the GDP in the second half of 2016 in real terms which was partly as a result of increases in other net transfers from the rest of the World .

The bureau further said that the operating surplus declined in the third and fourth quarters but grew overall in real terms in 2016.

RN

Nigeria, UNHCR to tackle influx of refugees

The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, UNHCR, is partnering with the Nigerian Federal and State Governments to embark on emergency solutions over the influx of Cameroonian refugees fleeing to Nigeria.

External Relations Officer, UNHCR Mr Hanson Tamfu, said that the agency and its partners had commenced emergency activities to provide assistance and protection to the increasing number of refugees.

He explained that the refugees were fleeing from the North West and South West regions of Cameroon following the escalation of violence over the declaration of the independence of Southern Cameroon on 1st October, 2017.

The refugees are currently hosted in Cross River and Akwa Ibom states and are mostly from Akwaya subdivision, of the South West region in Cameroon.

UNHCR, the National Commission for Refugees, Migrants and Internally Displaced Persons and Rhema Care, will resume registration of the refugees on Thursday..

The influx of the Cameroonian refugees is believed to be adding more problems for the Nigerian authorities and humanitarian actors, as they prepare for the voluntary repatriation of Nigerian refugees from Cameroon, Chad and Niger.

RN